Saturday, July 9, 2011
- Start at the fence.
- Climb up and slide down the slide.
- Jump through the laundry baskets.
- Jump to touch balloons hung from the tree.
- Make a basket in each of the two tall baskets/garbage cans.
- Walk heel-to-toe across a jump rope laid straight.
- Crawl through the pop-up tunnel.
- Run zig-zag around the cones.
- Push the cart along the chalk "track."
- Somersault from the peonies to the markers.
- Throw the sponge ball so that it hits the van and then return it to the bucket.
- Walk tiptoe around the spiral cord.
- Jump over the butterfly net.
- Make 3 jumps on the po-go stick.
- Touch the swingset.
Everyone made at least two runs through the course. In the first runs, I timed them at around 4 or 5 minutes. They were all considerably faster on their second runs! Everyone thought that getting the baskets was the hardest part--although somersaulting is a close second for Andrew! I think the sense of accomplishment gained by all was significant (not to mention the practice at waiting one's turn, the training in direction-following, and the benefit of physical exercise).
I wonder what I can add next year...
Friday, July 8, 2011
I'm not one for taking pictures during the tough spots...so here are some of the week's great highlights:
Sunday, July 3, 2011
How often, how easily, our view of beauty can be distorted. We grow to think that this or that is beautiful alone: straight, blond hair, red roses, health, paintings by masters, intelligence, the right shoes, whatever.
This is a way I can live counter to culture: to see Creator's beauty in the diversity of God's creation--in dirt and weeds and sick children and spider webs and sky and wrinkles and shadows and bare, brown feet with overgrown toenails...and all.
Glory be to God for dappled things--
For skies of couple-color as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced--fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change: Praise him.
Saturday, July 2, 2011
- Hanging out with friends
- The color-guessing game
- Loud, loud noises
- Staying up very late
- Group dynamics: community "oohing" and "aahing"
- Lots of time to snuggle with Daddy