Tuesday, February 9, 2010

More Happy Things (in the Mom Life of a Canadian, Adoptive, Multiracial Family)

1) My Super-Capacity Washing Machine
I don't think I need to say any more.

2) Expressions of Beauty
I have noticed that Abby, who loves to color and has a distinctive appreciation for all things beautiful and fancy, often chooses darker skin tones in her pictures. Poet Maya Angelou has said, "It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength." While I've never explicitly told Abby that her pictures would be especially beautiful if they contained a variety of skin colors, I am so pleased to see her reflecting this belief through her own creative expressions!


3) The Gift of Community
Last weekend, we spent some time in Mike's hometown for its "Winter Carnival." This event included community meals, entertainment by Junkyard Symphony, horse-drawn sleigh rides, and a community hockey game that pitted dozens of youngsters against three good-natured high school students. The big boys participated in the game and were super-excited to come home with a win and their own medals! Spending quality time with friends and family is such a precious thing.

4) Fun and Motivational Organizational Strategies
I love to borrow great ideas. This particular one I got from a fellow adoptive mom's blog, although I've adapted it slightly for our own needs. Our "5-finger mornings" help the kids to take responsibility for getting themselves ready in the morning. They need to do the four fingers, then the thumb, and then they are free to play (if they have any time before it is time to catch the bus!) Abby says, "It's easy to remember because it's on the wall, and it has the fingers. I can do it everyday!" ...and Mom says, "Less nagging makes me happy."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are going very well (except for the never-ending laundry!). I love seeing all the good reports. Way to go, kids!!! (You, too, Mom & Dad!)
Mom (Gramma)

kim said...

Glad the 5 Finger Routine is going good! It's been amazing in our house :)

lbrander said...

Hey Kristy, I absolutely LOVE the 5 finger routine. I will definetely be implementing this when we go home.