Monday, April 23, 2012

Les Livres du Lundi

For me, this week's reading has emphasized themes of discrimination and oppression.  Elie Wiesel's Night tells his own story of surviving concentration camps during World War II.  Although I have read several accounts of the horrors of the Holocaust, I did find this book to be especially poignant.  Following this, I picked up a copy Vintage Langston by Langston Hughes.  This collection of poetry and short stories gives expression to diverse experiences of African Americans.  I found this little book to be very captivating and beautiful despite the prevalence of lament and calls for change.  I read most of it in one sitting, delighting in the varied expressions and colourful character depictions.

Our recent read-aloud has been Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink.  Although I found some of the glorification of American pioneer life to be overdone, the adventures of the Woodlawn children certainly fed my children's imaginations.  Tom Woodlawn's story-telling will surely be remembered, as will Caddie's bravery in the face of a threat to her beloved native friends.  Certainly, this book offered significant insights into character development.  Despite some imperialistic overtones, I would still recommend this book.

Jadon's Pick of the Week is A Book About Color by Mark Gonyea.  This little book presents the color wheel in a manner that is accessible and entertaining to kids.  Jadon likes it because "it taught me new words."  Also, he enjoyed the illustrations on the last pages which included imagery and themes from throughout the book.

Other storybook favorites from this week include The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes, Jack and the FlumFlum Tree by Julia Donaldson, It's Library Day by Janet Morgan Stoeka, Not in Room 204 by Shannon Riggs, and The Whispering Cloth by Pegi Deitz Shea.

Happy Reading!

No comments: